About Ghana School of Law
On the attainment of independence in 1957, the Government at the time, decided to provide facilities for legal education in Ghana. This was occasioned by the vast and varying demands by Ghanaians for legal services.
To achieve this goal, the Legal Practitioners Act, 1958 was enacted by Parliament.
This Act created the General Legal Council and charged it with the responsibility for organizing, inter alia legal education in Ghana.
As a first step, the General Legal Council established the Ghana School of Law and mandated it to start professional legal training. The first meeting of the general Legal Council was held in the Supreme Court building on the 3rd September, 1958, and it was chaired by the first Ghanaian Chief Justice, His Lordship Sir Arku Korsah.