African Girls Congress Fellowship Awards
African Girls Congress Fellowship Awards: Moremi Initiative for Women’s Leadership in Africa (Moremi Initiative) is pleased to announce its call for applications for the 2011 African Girls Congress – Nigerian Program.
The GIRLS CONGRESS is an annual interactive initiative designed to prepare girls to take charge of their own lives and act as agents of positive change in their communities.
It engages and challenges girls of exceptional promise to reach their fullest potential—intellectually, emotionally, and socially.
The program has the following objectives:
- Equip school-age girls with the tools, resources and networks to increase their involvement in their communities on issues that affect their lives;
- Build skills in public speaking, volunteering, discipline, courage, and compassion, social networking, and peer mentoring;
- Introduce candidates to and strengthen their knowledge on critical issues of importance to girls and women in Africa- ranging from the right of the African child and entrepreneurship to career options and personal development;
- Build communities of girls advocating for policy changes and social justice;
- Nurture active citizenship and interest in service to community;
- Introduce positive role models and positive leadership action, locally and globally.
The fellowship awards will be made to 25 outstanding girls with exceptional qualities who have exhibited leadership potential in their community and schools.
To be eligible for the program, an applicant must be Nigerian, living in Nigeria; agree to participate in all required activities related to the Congress – including a two-week residential Summer Institute in Nigeria (July 28 – August 11); and commit to a community/school leadership service project.
Applicants must be between 13 – 18 years of age. Specific requirements of the program and related dates are outlined in the application package.
For scholarships application: African Girls Congress Fellowship Awards