Afya Bora Global Health Fellowships
Afya Bora Global Health Fellowships: The Afya Bora Consortium Fellowship was created to train future leaders in global health. The focus is on African health professionals, but also includes U.S. trainees.
The Fellowship has two major components, a set of didactic modules and an assignment at an Attachment Site.
The didactic modules provide trainees with basic knowledge and a variety of practical skills relevant to effective leadership, while the assignment at an Attachment Site provides practical experience in an African health organization and environment.
Global Health Fellowships – Trainees
The one-year training program targets African and U.S. medical post-graduates, post-residency physicians, and graduate nurses with the majority of trainees from Africa.
One important element of the program is the inclusion of both U.S. and African trainees who are both nurses and physicians.
We believe that this mix will enhance the quality of the leadership training experience for all participants, and will help the trainees establish professional relationships that will have long-term benefits in their future careers. The annual cohort is ~ 20 fellows per year (80% from African institutions).
Global Health Fellowships – Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible to apply all applicants MUST meet the following criteria
- Be a citizens of US, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, or Tanzania AND
- Meet ONE of the following education requirements
1. Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed, MPH or Masters degree in related field.
2. Nursing applicants need to have a Masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field (PhD preferred).
3. Other Public Health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have a PhD in Public Health or a related field.
Global Health Fellowships – What does it cover?
- African trainees -airfare (home-Botswana- attachment sites – Kenya – attachment site- Uganda – home)
- Monthly stipend equivalent to $1500 per month
- Evacuation insurance if stationed outside home country
- Accommodations and per diem up if attending didactic sessions and meetings outside of home country -reimbursement for visa cost US Trainees
- Existing fellowship stipend
- Round trip airfare from home city- Africa -airfare within Africa to attachment site placement and modules -reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc)
- Support request for an NIH loan repayment up to $35,000 for one year (eligible applicants are limited to postdocs) OR
- Monthly stipend based on NRSA 2012 stipend levels -stipend cap is at 2 years post-doctoral level
- Round trip airfare from home city-Africa -airfare within Africa to attachment site placement and modules
- Per diem when attending didactic sessions and meetings
- Housing allowance of up to $750 per month -support request for an NIH loan repayment up to $35,000 for one year (eligible applicants are limited to postdocs)
- Reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc.).
For more fellowship information and application materials, visit: Afya Bora Global Health Fellowships