Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Grants
Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) is a dynamic, African-led partnership working across the African continent to help millions of small-scale farmers and their families lift themselves out of poverty and hunger.
AGRA is working to break the cycles of hunger and poverty in Africa through a comprehensive set of initiatives that will provide small-scale farmers with the tools and opportunities they need to boost their productivity, increase their incomes, and build better lives.
AGRA envisions working in eight areas to address key aspects of a functional, sustainable food production system in Africa:
- Developing better and more appropriate seeds;
- Fortifying depleted soils with responsible use of soil nutrients and better management practices;
- Improving access to water and water-use efficiency;
- Improving income opportunities through better agricultural input and output markets;
- Developing local networks of agricultural education;
- Understanding and sharing the wealth of African farmer knowledge;
- Encouraging government policies that support small-scale farmers; and
- Monitoring and evaluation to ensure that AGRA efforts improve the lives of small-scale farm households and help build a sustainable future for all Africans.In addition, as livestock is often critical to small-scale farmers, AGRA will promote opportunities to strengthen mixed crop-livestock systems throughout all of its areas of work.Currently-funded projects, all under AGRA’s Programme for Africa’s Seed Systems (PASS) initiative are:
- Agro-dealer Development
- Education for African Crop Improvement
- Fund for the Improvement and Adoption of African Crops
- Seed Production for AfricaAll of AGRA’s seed development programmes use conventional breeding approaches.
For more information on AGRA’s programmes and grants, visit: Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa Website