Aubrey Sheiham Public Health and Primary Care Scholarship
Aubrey Sheiham Public Health and Primary Care Scholarship:
The Aubrey Sheiham Public Health and Primary Care Scholarship is a three-month scholarship offered annually by The Cochrane Collaboration to health workers, consumers and researchers living in developing countries.
The aim of the Scholarship is to enable the development of skills in preparing systematic reviews of healthcare interventions within The Cochrane Collaboration.
The Scholarship is awarded annually for work on a topic related to public health or primary health care.
The Aubrey Sheiham Scholar spends the three-month Scholarship period in Oxford.
The Scholar is based at the UK Cochrane Centre in Oxford for the duration of the Scholarship, and resides in free accommodation provided by The Cochrane Collaboration.
The Scholar is expected to prepare a Cochrane Review during the tenure of the Scholarship and, upon returning home, to maintain the review and undertake to train other prospective review authors in Cochrane methods.
Preferred recipients will have:
- A good understanding of the English language.
- Limited access to relevant training where they live.
- A review topic that is of significant importance to people living in middle- or low-income countries (Rwanda, Kenya, Benin, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Burundi, Liberia, Somalia, Central African Republic, Madagascar, Sudan, Chad, Malawi, Mali, Tanzania, Congo, Mauritania, Côte d’Ivoire, Togo, Eritrea, Mozambique, Uganda, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Niger, Guinea, Nigeria, Zambia, Guinea-Bissau, Zimbabwe, New Guinea)The Scholarship recipient will be expected to:
- Be previously registered as a review author with the Cochrane Review Group relevant to the proposed research area.
- Have agreed a review topic with the relevant Cochrane Review Group before submitting an application.
- Work primarily from the UK Cochrane Centre in Oxford, but also work closely with one or more UK-based members of a Cochrane Review Group;
- Prepare a Cochrane review during the tenure of the Scholarship.
- Maintain the Cochrane review on returning home.
- Teach others how to do systematic reviews on returning home.The Scholarship will cover:
- Travel costs including the cost of ordinary fare travel to and from the UK, as well as reasonable travel within the UK to work on the review topic; and the cost of a visa.
- Funds to cover reasonable travel expenses within the UK to visit a relevant Review Group or Co-ordinator.
- A monthly stipend of GBP £500 to cover living costs (free accommodation will be provided in Oxford).
- The cost of a personal laptop computer, both to facilitate carrying out the Scholar’s review, and for loading Cochrane software to take home.
Deadline: 29 October.
For more information and application, visit: Aubrey Sheiham Public Health and Primary Care Scholarship