Brooks World Poverty Institute Scholarships
BWPI PhD Scholarships – Open to students of all nationalities.
The BWPI Burnell-NAFUM PhD Scholarship in Poverty & the Environment – Priority for this scholarship will be given to students from non-OECD countries to conduct research on poverty and the environment.
The BWPI is pleased to offer a suite of postgraduatefellowships and scholarships to support PhD programmes.
These have individual conditions and criteria but in general the research to be undertaken can focus on any aspect of poverty analysis that has both academic and policy relevance.
Candidates with disciplinary backgrounds in any relevant social science subject area are encouraged to apply (anthropology, development studies, economics, geography, planning, politics, sociology).
Ideally, research topics should relate to the BWPI’s evolving research plan.
The topics listed below provide an illustration of areas of work that are of interest to BWPI but potential candidates with other poverty related topics are encouraged to apply
- Measuring poverty from income and human development perspectives.
- Applying different concepts of poverty – what does this tell us?
- The roles of the state and market in poverty reduction.
- Why do some poor people stay poor while others escape poverty?
- Who benefits and who does not from social protection? Why is this the pattern?
- The theory and practice of empowering poor people.
- Is economic growth pro-poorest?It is hoped that the successful candidates will become some of the world’s leading poverty researchers and a key influence on global policy.The successful candidates will be full-time PhD students registered at the BWPI and will receive research training through attendance of appropriate programmes at either the School of Environment & Development (see www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate) or the School of Social Sciences depending upon topic selection (see www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate).
For further information and full details on how to applyplease visit: Brooks World Poverty Institute Scholarships