Ghana Birth Certificate
What is a Birth Certificate?
According to Vital Check, a certified birth certificate is an official government-issued record of a person’s birth, printed on security paper and includes an official raised, embossed, impressed or multicoloured seal.
Here in Ghana, the Births and Deaths Registry was established by the Act 301 of 1965, within the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, to handle and develop the births and deaths registration system in Ghana. However, the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1965, (Act 301) is the legislation currently in force in the country.
What documents you need to apply for a Biometric Birth Certificate in Ghana
As with any other application online, there is the need to verify your identity and to be sure you are actually the person applying. In order to do these, you will have to scan some documents and upload them somewhere in the process. These documents are:
- Your Baptismal Certificate
- Clinical Weighing/Notification of birth card
- Old Birth Certificate
In addition to the above, minors (below 18 years) will have to add:
- An affidavit from one of the parents
Step by Step Procedure to apply for a Ghanaian Birth Certificate
- Visit the E-Services Ghana website at eservices.gov.gh
- On the top-left side of the eServices Page Click on BDR – Apply for Birth Certificate.
- On the next page, Read the option that says new users must register to have full access to the portal online services using the Register link. Click the Register link
- On the next page, you will be met with a form. It contains questions that you will need to fill. Fill the form as accurately as possible. Some of the required fields on the form are:
- First Names
- Last Names
- Age Group
- Country of Residence
- Mobile Number
- Primary Email Address
- Once you have successfully completed the registration, a confirmation will be sent to the email address. For this reason, it is always advisable you use an address that you have access to
- Click on the confirmation link in the email to confirm your eServices Registration
- Next, visit eServices website again and click on Apply for Birth Certificate or BDR tab.
- Read Instructions Carefully and Select New Applicant to begin.
- Carefully fill the forms and Upload Required files you have already scanned.
- Payment options will be made available to you before the entire process can be completed. Use myghpay by GT Bank to make payment on the e-payment platform.
Price of Birth Certificate in Ghana (Online Application)
It costs GHS 50 to apply for the Ghanaian Biometric Birth Certificate online.