Ghana Institute of Languages (GIL) Kumasi
The Ghana Institute of Languages was established in 1961 by the first President of Ghana, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Initially, it was directly under the control of the office of the President at the Christianborg Castle, Osu, the then seat of government. It was formed to enhance the linguistic competence in modern languages of Foreign Service personnel and civil servants. Currently, the Institute is under the Ministry of Education with the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE) having oversight responsibility.
The Institute comprises the following:
- The School of Languages (SOL)
- The School of Bilingual Secretaryship (SOBS)
- The School of Translators (SOT)
- The Translation Bureau (TransBureau)
- The Research Department
The head office of the Ghana Institute of Languages is currently located in the centre of the metropolis of Accra. It lies off Barnes Road in the Education Loop and houses the School of Languages and the administrative staff, currently the School of Translators and the School of Bilingual Secretaryship are located in the new branch offices in Accra at East Legon
In Kumasi, the Institute is located at Asokwa opposite the Kumasi Polytechnic.
The Tamale campus is in the Education Ridge, opposite the Tamale Sports Stadium.
THE HEAD OF SCHOOL,
GHANA INSTITUTE OF LANGUAGES
P.O. BOX 1227, KUMASI
TEL/FAX: 032 20 25500
Ghana Institute of Languages (GIL) Accra
Ghana Institute of Languages (GIL) Temale