Ghana International School Admission Requirements
Thanks to our strong track record in delivering the English National and Cambridge curricular to our diverse student community, demand for a place at Ghana International School is highly competitive.
Parents may fill out an online enquiry form. This is then responded to by the Head of Admissions. If parents are in the country, they will be invited to the Office of Admissions for an informal interview. Prospective parents who are abroad will be given a Skype interview. After the interview, an application form will be issued by the Head of Admissions if appropriate.
It is important to note that the Office of Admissions will only communicate with a parent or legal guardian. If a child is in the care of an adult who is not the parent, the Office of Admissions requires a letter of authorization from the parent or parents stating that the adult is able to act on their behalf in the affairs of the child.
It is advised to apply as early as possible as demand for places is high.
The preconditions for admission are that:
- The applicant is of appropriate age.
- The applicant’s needs can, in the opinion of the Principal, be managed within the School’s provision.
- The present School (if applicable) reports satisfactory attitudes and conduct on the part of the child and parent(s).
- Fees (if applicable) at the present school have been paid up in full.
- The family have maintained a satisfactory payment history for siblings already admitted to G.I.S.
- Prospective parents meet with the Head of Admissions or are interviewed via Skype
- Parents/Guardians undertake a tour of the School (actual or virtual).
- Parents/Guardians have agreed to sign up to the School’s Parent Contract, including a Home/School contract outlining mutual support, responsibilities and support for the School and its policies and decisions
Stage 1 : Completing the Application
- Soft or hard copies of the completed application form are submitted to the Office of Admissions.
- The registration fee can be paid online (see preferred options in Guide) or paid at a bank, into the GIS Account (see details in Guide). The finance department will also accept cash payment in cedi equivalent for the registration fee only. No other payment is required at this point. The fee is $100 (USD) for all applications (Nursery to Sixth Form)
NB: The School is unable to proceed with an application without all of step 1 being in place.
All applications are to be submitted to the Office of Admissions located in the administration block in the Secondary School or online to email@example.com
As soon as the completed application is received, the file will undergo a detailed review by the Office of Admissions. If appropriate, the review will also involve Academic Management, Counsellor and the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo). All applications go to the Principal for final approval. Applications will be acknowledged within the working week. Parents will be notified by e-mail, so should ensure that all contact information on the application is correct.
If an application has been unsuccessful, parents will be notified by email and are required to indicate their intent to remain on the waiting list for the next academic year.