Ghana Police Service CID
Criminal Investigation Department – CID
The Gold Coast Police Force now called the Police Service was Formed in 1894 but the real police work started in the then Gold Coast, now the Republic of Ghana, in the year 1921. The Ghana Police Service is organized on National basis, with a unified command under the Inspector-General of Police (IGP). The IGP, subject to the direction of the Minister of Interior, is responsible for exercising general day-to-day supervision over the operation and administration of the service.
The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service works in plain clothes. The personnel of this branch are employed as specialists in connection with various aspects of crime detection.
To ensure a proactive and professional approach to the prevention and detection of crime, protection of life and property and the apprehension and prosecution of offenders.
Units under the CID include:
- Criminal Data Services Bureau – [CDSB]
- Homicide Unit
- Anti Armed Robbery Squad – [AARS]
- Commercial Crime Unit – [CCU]
- Drug Law Enforcement Unit – [Narcotics]
- Anti Human Trafficking Unit – [AHTU]
- Forensic Science Laboratory – [FSL]
- Central Firearms Registry – [CFR]
- Financial Forensic Unit – [FFU]