Ghana Police Service GPS Police College
Police Training School
Real police work started in the gold coast now republic of Ghana in 1821. In the 1871 when Great Britain took full control of the colony, it became necessary to provide a strong force of 700 Hausa men under the command of Captain Glover were brought in from northern Nigeria to take part in the Ashanti wars on behalf of the British to ensure peace and security in the country. In 1894 the Gold coast police which is now called Ghana Police Service was formed with 400 out of 700 men brought in from Northern Nigeria under six European officers. They were headquartered in the Usher Fort and the training recruits were conducted in a very small room in the Fort.