Ghana Police Service GPS Regional Training Colleges
Regional Police Training School – Ho
The Regional Police Training School in Ho was initially known as the Reserve Training Centre (RTC). It later became the Regional Mobile Force and Training School.
Though officially opened on 18th August, 1961, the maiden training course was meant for the Local Authority Staff but were later absorbed into the Ghana Police Service. This was followed by the recruitment of one hundred and eighty – six (186) agriculture employees (Brigades) who were also absorbed into the Ghana Police Service. Formal training of Police recruits began in 1968 with 64 recruits who were enlisted in Accra and conveyed to the then Reserve Training Centre (RTC), Ho for their basic Police training.
The school was mandated by the National Police Administration to effectively provide training for police recruits and personnel. The school is guided by S. I. 100 in carrying out its mandate of ensuring that the trainees acquire professional skills necessary to discharge their duties in full conformity with applicable international standards and that of the Ghana Police Service within the framework of national laws so that the trainees are able to perform their roles with minimum or no supervision after the training. From 2011 to date, the school has trained over two thousand(2000) policemen.
Currently the school has personnel strength of forty – nine (49) and eighteen (18) civilian employees.
- The untarredparade ground/square is undergoing reconstruction.
- Plans are far advanced for the construction of a multipurpose chapel in the school. Blocks, chippings, iron – rods, some bags of cement, etc have been bought.
- The school has been lit with streetlights.
- Twenty (20) strong armchairs have been purchased for use on ceremonial occasions.
- The school successfully graduated two batches of Youth Employment Agency trainees in the Community Policing Assistants modules.
- The school has also trained Environmental Protection Officers for the Youth Employment Agency.
- The school trains cadets of various Senior High Schools in the region.
- There has been renovation/repair works on the recruits blocks, classrooms and other facilities to improve their state for the comfort of recruits and personnel.
- Occasionally, personnel and recruits of the school undertake fatigue/clean-up exercises in the Ho municipality.