How To Number Pages In Word
Adding page numbers
Word can automatically label each page with a page number and place it in a header, footer, or side margin. When you need to number some pages differently, Word allows you to restart page numbering.
To add page numbers to a document:
In our example, we’ll add page numbering to our document’s footer.
- Double-click anywhere on the header or footer to unlock it. If you don’t already have a header or footer, you can double-click near the top or bottom of the page. The Design tab will appear on the right side of the Ribbon.
- Click the Page Number command. In the menu that appears, hover the mouse over Current Position and select the desired page numbering style.
- Page numbering will appear.
- To edit the font, font size, and alignment of page numbers, select a page number and click the Home tab. Word’s text formatting options will appear.
- When you’re finished, press the Esc key. The page numbering will be formatted.
Alternatively, you can add page numbers to the header or footer by clicking the Page Number command and then selecting Top of Page or Bottom of Page. If you have an existing header or footer, it will be removed and replaced with the page number.
To restart page numbering:
Word allows you to restart page numbering on any page of your document. You can do this by inserting a section break and then selecting the number you want to restart the numbering with. In our example, we’ll restart the page numbering for our document’s Works Cited section.
- Place the insertion point at the top of the page you want to restart page numbering for. If there is text on the page, place the insertion point at the beginning of the text.
- Select the Page Layout tab, then click the Breaks command. Select Next Page from the drop-down menu that appears.
- A section break will be added to the document.
- Double-click the header or footer that contains the page number you want to restart.
- Click the Page Number command. In the menu that appears, select Format Page Numbers.
- A dialog box will appear. Click the Start at: button. By default, it will start at 1. If you want, you can change the number.
- Click OK.
- The page numbering will restart.