How To Reset iPhone
How to Restart iPhone – Other Models
Restarting most other iPhone models is the same as turning an iPhone on and off. Use this technique to try to solve basic problems like poor cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity, app crashes, or other day-to-day issues. Here’s what you need to do:
- Hold down the sleep/wake button (On older models it’s on the top of the phone. On the iPhone 6 series and newer, it’s on the right side) until the power-off slider appears on the screen.
- Let go of the sleep/wake button.
- Move the power-off slider from left to right. This causes the iPhone to shut down. You’ll see a spinner on the screen indicating the shut-down is in progress (it can be dim and hard to see, but it’s there).
- When the phone is shut off, hold down the sleep/wake button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen. When it does, the phone is starting up again. Let go of the button and wait for the iPhone to finish booting up.
How to Restart the iPhone 8 and iPhone X
On these models, Apple has assigned new functions to the sleep/wake button on the side of the device (it can be used to activate Siri, the bring up the Emergency SOS feature, and more).
Because of that, the restart process is different, too:
- Hold the sleep/wake button on the side and the volume down at the same time (volume up works, too, but that could accidentally take a screenshot, so down is simpler)
- Wait until the power-off slider appears.
- Move the slider from left to right to shut down the phone.
How to Hard Reset iPhone
The basic restart solves a lot of problems, but it doesn’t solve them all. In some cases – such as when the phone is completely frozen and won’t respond to pressing the sleep/wake button – you need a more powerful option called a hard reset. Again, this applies to every model except the iPhone 7, 8, and X.
A hard reset restarts the phone and it also refreshes the memory that apps run in(don’t worry; this doesn’t delete your data) and otherwise helps the iPhone start from scratch. In most cases, you won’t need a hard reset, but when you do, follow these steps:
- With the phone screen facing you, hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button at the bottom center at the same time.
- When the power-off slider appears, don’t let go of the buttons. Keep holding them both until you see the screen go black.
- Wait until the silver Apple logo appears.
- When this happens, you can let go – the iPhone is resetting.
How to Hard Reset the iPhone 8 and iPhone X
On the iPhone 8 series and iPhone X, the hard reset process is dramatically different than for other models. That’s because the holding down the sleep/wake button on the side of the phone is now used for the Emergency SOS feature.
To restart an iPhone 8 or iPhone X, follow these steps:
- Click and release the volume up button on the phone’s left side.
- Click and release the volume down button.
- Now hold down the sleep/wake button on the phone’s right side until the phone restarts and the Apple logo appears.
How to Hard Reset iPhone 7 Series
The hard reset process is slightly different for the iPhone 7 series.
That’s because the Home button is no longer a true button on these models. It’s now a 3D Touch panel. As a result, Apple has changed this how these models can be reset.
With the iPhone 7 series, all steps are the same as above, except you don’t hold down the Home button. Instead, you should hold the volume down button and the sleep/wake button at the same time.
The restart and hard reset instructions in this article work on the following models: