How to Use a Proxy By Understanding Proxies
- Understand the basic concepts of a proxy. A proxy is a server that you connect to that allows you to get “outside” of your network. You connect to a proxy and route your traffic through it, so that your IP is masked and traffic appears to be coming from the proxy server.
- Know the different types of proxies. There are several types of proxies that you will run into as you research proxies. Each offers a certain degree of anonymity, and some are more secure than others. There are four main types of proxies:
- Web-based proxies: The most common and easiest to use proxy. These are servers that you connect to through a browser do visit a visit a website anonymously.
- Open proxies: These are proxy servers that are either accidentally left open or are hacked. They are often not secure and can contain malicious software. It is recommended that you avoid open proxies.
- Anonymity networks: These are private networks that are run by users donating bandwidth. They are often incredibly slow and due to the fact that anyone can host bandwidth, they are fairly insecure.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network): These are private networks where you directly connect to a proxy server maintained by a proxy company or organization.