JTTC NEBOSH IGC Course
Course Title NEBOSH International General Certificate
Course Duration 10 days (8.30 am to 5 pm) plus 1 day for the IGC1 / IGC2 Practical
exam (Location to be arranged)
Course Venue Jubilee Technical Training Centre, Takoradi Polytechnic
Who should attend this course and why?
Managers, supervisors, worker representatives and others who require a basic knowledge and understanding of health and safety principles and practices. The International General Certificate is also suitable for those embarking on a career in health and safety, providing a valuable foundation for further professional study.
Course delegates are expected to have a good understanding of written and oral English.
This course has been designed to provide an appropriate breadth of knowledge for non-specialists in occupational health and safety to enable them to discharge more effectively their organisational duties or functions with respect to workplace health and safety.
The aim of the course is to provide candidates with an understanding of occupational health, safety and welfare within the workplace.
On completion of the NEBOSH International General Certificate the delegate will have an understanding of a wide range of workplace hazards and methods of control. Also an understanding of international standards for safety and health management including International Labour Organisation codes of practice. Local laws and cultural factors may also form part of the study programme where relevant and appropriate.
Summary of Course Content
Learning outcomes are grouped into three units – two classroom modules IGC1 and IGC2, and a practical health and safety assessment of a workplace (Unit IGC3). The certificate is awarded after the successful completion of both exams and assessment.
- Unit IGC1: The Management of International Health & Safety
- Foundations in health and safety
- Health and safety management systems 1 – Policy
- Health and safety management systems 2 – Organising
- Health and safety management systems 3 – Planning
- Health and safety management systems 4 – Measuring, audit and review
- Unit IGC2: Control of International Workplace Risks
- Workplace hazards and risk control
- Transport hazards and risk control
- Musculoskeletal hazards and risk control
- Work equipment hazards and risk control
- Electrical safety
- Fire safety
- Chemical and biological health hazards and risk control
- Physical and psychological health hazards and risk control
- Unit IGC3: Health and Safety Practical Application
Mode of Delivery / Method of Assessment
Classroom based delivery with the examination comprising two 2-hour written papers and a practical assessment. Each written paper consists of one ‘long-answer’ question and ten ‘short-answer’ questions and the practical assessment consists of carrying out a hazard observation of a workplace and preparing a short report. All questions are compulsory.
Successful course delegates will receive the National Examination Board for Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) International Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Level 3