KNUST Mphil Business Administration
KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, KUMASI SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES
ADMISSION OF CANDIDATES TO RESEARCH OR HIGHERDEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission to research and higher degree programmes
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
I. Masters’ Programmes
At the time of application, applicants should possess a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent from a recognized Institution in the relevant field of study.
Preference will be given to applicants with a FIRST CLASS, SECOND CLASS (UPPER OR LOWER DIVISION)
II Ph.D Programmes
Candidates applying for Doctor of Philosophy degree must have a Master’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized Institution and shall submit evidence of adequate training and ability to undertake the proposed programme.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
Unless otherwise stated,
- Master’s Programmes (Full-Time) are of Two (2) Academic Years and (Part-Time) Three (3) Academic Years duration.
- Ph.D Programmes (Full-Time) are of Three (3) Academic Years and (Part-Time) are of Four (4) Academic Years duration.
MODE OF APPLICATION
- First of all candidates must purchase an eVoucher by paying an application fee at the locations listed below.Upon payment of the application fee, candidates will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PIN that will grant access to the online admissions portal.
- Candidates should then proceed to online admissions website at; admissions.knust.edu.gh and begin the application process.
- Once the process has been completed, candidates must print out 3 copies of the completed application form from the portal and submit them to the School of Graduate Studies along with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation letter, and transcript (for those attending KNUST for the first time).
APPLICATION FEE- GH¢ 180.00 by cash at the School of Graduate Studies (behind Dept. of Chemistry Building) and Strictly by Bank Draft (payable to the School of Graduate Studies) at the Centres listed below.
- Kumasi-School of Graduate Studies, KNUST.
- Accra-KNUST IDL Office at Catholic Institute of Business and Technology, Adabraka, near GNAT Hall. Contact 0209140115.
- Sunyani- University of Energy and Natural Resources, Tel.03520-2346.ContactMr.ClementKusoryir (Tel.0277046948).
- Koforidua Centre; Contact Mr. Foster Ofori, Tel. 0244811805
- Tamale Centre; Contact Mr. Abdul-Razak, Tamale Polytechnic (Marketing Department) Tel. 0244772040
- Bolgatanga Centre: Contact Mr. Mukassa, Tel. 0208288666
- Takoradi Polytechnic, Takoradi, Contact: Mr. Emmanuel Opintin-Baah, Building Tech. Dept. Tel.0244865578
Deadline for the submission of application forms is Monday 31st March, 2014. Application forms submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
NB: All International Applicants must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES FOR 2014/2015 ACADEMIC YEAR
A. COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND RENEWABLE NATURAL RESOURCES
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
1. Department of Animal Science
MSc/MPhil Programmes Animal Breeding and Genetics; Reproductive Physiology; Animal Nutrition and Meat Science.
Animal Nutrition; Reproductive Physiology; Animal Breeding and Genetics.
Master of Science (MSc), Master of Philosophy (MPhil); A good Bachelor’s degree (1st Class or 2nd Class Upper) in Agriculture or related
disciplines from KNUST or any recognized University. Candidates with 2nd Lower are required to pass an interview.
2. Department of Crop and Soil SciencesMPhil
Agronomy; Agronomy (Plant Breeding); Agronomy (Crop Physiology); Agronomy (Forage Production Management);Agronomy (Weed Science)
Crop Protection (Entomology); Crop Protection (Plant Pathology)
Crop Protection (Nematology); Crop Protection (Plant Virology);Soil Science.
Agronomy: Plant Breeding; Nematology; Entomology; Plant Virology; Plant Pathology; Crop Physiology; Soil Science; Forage Production Management; Soil Management & Conservation; Soil Fertility/Plant Nutrition.
3. Department of Horticulture
The Department offers M.Phil, programme in the Following fields: Postharvest Physiology; Floriculture; Fruit Crop Production;
Postharvest Technology; Seed Science and Technology; Vegetable Crops Production; Landscape Studies and Breeding of Horticultural Crops.
Postharvest Technology; Vegetable Crops Production; Seed Science and Technology; Landscape Studies and Postharvest Physiology.
4. Department of Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness and Extension PhD/ M.Phil – Agricultural Economics Ph.D – Agricultural Extension MPhil in Sustainable and Integrated Rural Development
FACULTY OF RENEWABLE NATURAL RESOURCES
1. Department of Wildlife and Range Management
M.Phil/Ph.D – Wildlife and Range Management M.Sc – GISNATUREM (Natural Resources Management)
2. Department of Silviculture and Forest Management
M.Phil – Silviculture and Forest Management. M.Phil – Natural Resource & Environmental Governance
Ph.D – Silviculture and Forest Management.
A good first degree in Natural Resources Management, Agriculture, Natural Sciences or related areas. for applicants. At least two (2) years teaching or school administration experience required.
PhD- Art Education
MA, MPhil, MFA or MEd. Art Education or any Visual Arts discipline from
KNUST or other recognised university. Submission of a proposal will be required. A good pass (70% or better) at an entrance examination is required. A selection interview will be conducted. At least Two (2) years teaching or School administration experience. Evidence of journal publication/conferences attended.
M.Phil – African Art and Culture
A good BA or BPhil degree (1st or 2nd Class) in any field of Arts from any
recognised university; Evidence of prior learning and experience in Research
Methodology and Thesis Writing, Submission of a Synopsis on an appropriate topic in the field of Arts; A good pass (65% or better) at an entrance examination and selection interview to be determined by the Department Board; At least two
(2) years working experience in the field of Arts.
PhD – African Art and Culture
MA or MPhil African Art & Culture degree from KNUST or any recognised
university; Evidence of prior learning and experience in Research Methodology at the master level; Submission of a Dissertation proposal on an appropriate topic in the field of Arts; Evidence of research scholarship such as Thesis, Project Report or journal publication; A good pass (70% or better) at an entrance examination and selection interview to be determined by the Departmental Board; at least two (2) years of working experience.
2. Department of Painting and Sculpture
MFA/ M.Phil/Ph.D Painting, Sculpture, and Painting & Sculpture Admission Requirements for MFA
Candidates must possess either a BA (Art) or BFA degree or its equivalent,
preferably with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division). Candidates with other qualifications and divisions may be admitted after an interview.
3. Department of Publishing Studies M.A – Publishing Studies
(1st class or 2nd class).First degree in Publishing Studies or any other discipline plus 2 years work experience in the industry or related field. Provide a statement of aims and objectives highlighting reasons for wanting to enrol in the programme. Pass written exam and an interview. Present a Portfolio during interview.
4. Department of Industrial Art
MFA Metal Smithing, Jewellery, Textiles Design and Ceramics
A good first degree in Metalsmithing and Jewellery, Textile Design and Ceramics or its equivalent from a recognized university. Candidate will have to pass an interview and must present a portfolio. Second Class Lower division with two years working experience may be considered.
5. Department of Communication Design
Masters in Communication Design
1st degree in Graphic Design/Communication Design
2 years working experience.
6. Department of Integrated Rural Art and Industry
i. Master of Integrated Art Degree (MIA) (Full Time/Part Time)
ii. MPhil (Integrated Art)
a) Applicants must have a first degree in Integrated Rural Art and Industry
preferably a First Class or Second Class Honors (Upper Division) or a
first degree in a closely related field. Applicants with Postgraduate
Diploma in Integrated Art will be admitted to the Second Year of the
Masters Degree programme. Candidates with a second class lower
division and considerable relevant professional experience may also
b) Applicants must be successful at an interview and assessment of portfolio
in the areas of research.
Areas of Specialization:
Fibres and Fabrics Technology; Leather Technology; Clay and Earthenware
Technology; Woodworking Technology; Metals Fabrication Technology; Bamboo and Rattan Technology and Product Design Technology.
c) Study in Product Design Technology is equally available to candidates
with good first degree in relevant 3D based programmes, such as; Graphic
Communication, Painting, Architecture, Computer Science and
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
1. Department of Economics MSc./M.Phil/Ph.D
A One (1) – Year Programme
- MSc. Economics
- MSc. Economics (Money, Banking and Finance Option)
- MSc. Economics (Energy and Resource Economics Option)
A good first degree at least Second Class Lower Division in the following
discipline; BA/BSc Economics, BA/BSc Economics ( with Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Geography, Law, Sociology, Political Science and History);Bachelor of BusinessAdministration,BScMathematics/Statistics/Engineering/Physics/Actuarial Science/Environmental Science/ Land Economy/Natural Resource Management; BA/BSc Geography/ Geography and Resource Development/Geography and Rural Development/Geography and Regional Planning; BA/BSc Development Studies; and related disciplines. Admission is subject to passing an interview.
A Two (2) – Year Programme
M.Phil (Economics) – A good first degree in Economics at least Second Class
(Upper Division). Candidates must have done Econometrics, Advanced Economic Theory and Mathematics for Economists at the undergraduate level in a recognized tertiary institution. Admission is subject to passing an interview.
A Three (3) – Year Programme
Ph.D (Economics) – A good first degree in Economics at least Second Class (Upper Division) plus a good masters degree in economics or related field at least an overall grade of a B or equivalent, with sufficient background in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics from a recognized tertiary institution. A good background in statistics and Mathematics will be an added advantage. A thesis proposal on the proposed thesis topic is required. Admission is subject to passing an interview.
2. Department of Modern Languages
Candidates must hold a good 1st degree in French or a Postgraduate Qualification relevant to the area of study from a recognised university. In addition, candidates may be required to pass a written examination and interview.
Candidates must hold a Master’s degree in French from a recognised University and must submit a research proposal acceptable to the Postgraduate Coordinating Team. In addition, candidates will be required to pass a selection interview.
3. Department of English
Admission Requirements: For admission into the MPhil programme, an applicant should have graduated in English major. All applicants must pass an interview.
Ph.D (in literature)
Admission Requirements: For admission into the PhD programme, an applicant should possess an MA or MPhil in English. In addition, candidates in the Department’s MPhil programme, who perform well in their first year of course work, may be recommended by the Department for transfer to the PhD programme.
4. Department of Geography and Rural Development
Admission Requirement: A good first degree in Geography. Admission is subject to passing an interview.