Opoku Ware School (Kumasi)
Opoku Ware School, often referred to as OWASS, is a senior high school for boys in the Ashanti region of Ghana. It was established in 1952, as one of the five Catholic schools in Ghana that year. The school was named after Asante King Opoku Ware I. The students are known collectively as Akatakyie, an Asante word meaning “conquering heroes”.
It is located in Fankyenebra, near Santasi, along the Kumasi-Obuasi road.
The patron saint of the school is Saint Thomas Aquinas. The motto of the school is “Deus Lux Scientiae”, meaning “God is the Light of Knowledge”.
- Prof. Kwamena Ahwoi, former NDC Minister of State,
- Okyerema Asante, percussionist,
- Ohene Karikari, former national athlete and Africa’s number one sprinter during his time
- Dr. Jacob Kwakye-Maafo, physician, surgeon and CEO of West End Clinic, Kumasi
- Prof Christian Nsiah, Olympic athlete and Business Economics professor at Black Hills State Uni
- Dr Anthony Akoto Osei, Former Finance Minister and current MP for Old Tafo
- Ernest Owusu-Poku former Inspector General of Police, Ghana
- Jacob Osei Yeboah (AH 125) the only independent presidential aspirant in the 2012 presidential elections in Ghana, .
- Akwasi Appiah (o 123) the current head coach of the Ghana Black Stars.
- Paul Victor Obeng, Mechanical engineer, Politician and former chairman of KNUST council