State Insurance Company (SIC) Ghana Workmen’s Compensation Insurance
SIC’s Workmen’s Compensation Insurance Indemnifies an employer against his legal liability for injuries to his employees resulting from accidents occurring in the course of their employment.
The Workmen’s Compensation Act 1987 makes it compulsory for any Employers of labour to set aside funds to compensate any worker who may sustain injury at the work place whether or not the Employer is to blame.
The definition of a worker under the act has been expanded to include any person who receives salary or wages except an outworker, a tributary, and a family member of the employer living with the latter or where the Law prohibits as a worker.
Covers such as the following are offered under our Workmen’s Compensation Insurance;
- Fidelity Guarantee
- Professional Indemnity
- Products Liability
- General Liability
Besides compensation for bodily injury, there is provision for payment of Medical Expenses as a result of the injury. An employer may also choose to insure his liability under the Act and in addition can extend his liability to cover claims under Common Law.
Fidelity Guarantee Policy Indemnifies an employer against direct financial loss resulting from acts of dishonesty of the employees.
Covers a professional against his legal liability to third parties incurred whilst engaged in his profession. For example, a patient instituting a claim against a Medical Officer who negligently prescribed a wrong drug to him. The Medical Officer may fall on his professional indemnity insurers to bail him out.
Exclusions on Professional Indemnity Cover
This policy shall not cover any claim or claims arising out of:
- Any negligent act, error or omission in connection with services or activities going beyond the scope of professional services typically performed as an architect and/or consulting engineer under domestic legislation, ethical codes and rules;
- The manufacture, construction, alteration, repair, servicing or processing of any goods or products sold, supplied or distributed by the Insured or out of any business or occupation other than that stated in the schedule, even though the same may be carried on by the Insured in conjunction with his business as stated in the schedule;
- Any contract where the Insured acts as a contractor, manufacturer or supplier, whether in conjunction with his profession as stated in the schedule or not;
Covers the insured’s legal liability arising from defects in products manufactured or supplied by him/her.
Exclusions on Products Liability Cover
This policy does not cover loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by related to or in consequences of:
- War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operation (whetherwar be declared or Not, civil war, rebellion, revolutions, insurrections, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or Amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power; or
- Any act of terrorism
For the purpose of this policy an act of terrorism means an act, including but not limited to the use of force or violence and/or the threat thereof, of any person or group(s) of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation(s) or government(s), committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear.
- This policy also excludes loss, damage, cost or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or in connection with any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any way relating to (1) and /or (2) above
- If the Insurers allege that by reason of this exclusion, any loss, damage, cost or expense is not covered by this insurance the burden of proving the contrary shall be upon the Insured.
This policy protects an Insured against his/her legal liability to third parties for damages in respect of accidental:
- Death or bodily injury including illness
- Loss of or damage to tangible property
occuring within the territorial limits and arising in the course of or in connection with the insured’s business.
For example, an insured’s liability to a client going to the insured’s office that falls and injures him or herself from a faulty staircase may be compensated under this policy.
Exclussions on General Liability cover includes:
- Insured’s employees
- Damage to:
- Property belonging to the Insured
- Property in the custody of the Insured or his employee
- That part of property being worked on if the damage is as a result of such work
- Product liability
- Defective workmanship
- Vibrations or removal of support
- Contractual liability
- Gradual pollution and clean-up cos
- Fines, penalties, punitive or vindictive damages
- Damages and costs awarded outside the jurisdiction stipulated in the policy