About University of Mines and Technology UMaT
The University of Mines and Technology (UMaT) started as the Tarkwa Technical Institute (TTI) on 3rd November, 1952 but was officially commissioned by the Government of Ghana, more precisely by His Excellency the Governor of the Gold Coast, Sir Charles Noble Arden Clarke, on 7th October, 1953. In 1961, the Government, upon the advocacy of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, redefined the mission of TTI to incorporate the training of mining technicians and other middle level manpower for the country’s mining and related industries.
In 1961, it was reorganized to become the Tarkwa School of Mines (TSM) to train the required manpower for the mining and allied industries in Ghana. In 1976, the Government took cognizance of the capability of TSM and its strategic location, Tarkwa, which is at the centre of mining activities in the country. As this location gave TSM a special strength for mining education, TSM was affiliated to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) as a faculty of the University so as to enable TSM offer degree, diploma and certificate programmes in mining and related fields.