University Of Education Winneba UEW Political Science
B. A. (Political Science Education)
The objectives of the programme are to:
i. Prepare graduates to teach government at the Pre-tertiary (e.g. Senior High School) levels of education.
ii. Imbue students with the capacity for a critical understanding of political issues through the mounting of relevant courses
iii. Provide service courses in the subject to students in other disciplines in the University so as to acquaint them with the subject matter of Political Science.
iv. Conduct relevant research to promote scholarship in the University
v. Encourage the production of textbooks for use in courses taught in the department, and elsewhere.
vi. Offer relevant services to the non-university community as part of the University’s outreach programme to society at large.
- SSSCE Candidates
- Credit passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English and Mathematics, plus
- Credit passes in three relevant elective subjects (i.e. Government, History, Economics, Elective Mathematics, Geography, Religious Studies, Literature in English, French and Business Management.
- WASSCE Candidates
- Credit passes (A1 – C6) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus
- Credit passes in three (3) relevant elective subjects i.e. Government, Economics, Elective Mathematics, Geography, History, Religious Studies, Literature in English, French and Business Management.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level Candidates
- Credit passes in three (3) relevant subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). i. e. Economics, Mathematics, Geography, Government, History, and Religious Studies, Literature in English, French and Business Management.
- Also the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and an Arts subject (for Science students).
- Higher National Diploma (HND) Candidates
Candidates must have graduated with good HND certificate (at least 2nd Class Lower Division).
- Special Departmental requirements
Candidate must have a background in the Social Sciences and the Humanities.
- Mature Applicants
- Applicants must be at least 25 years by 1st September of the academic year the applicant wants to enrol.
- The applicants must also pass UEW Entrance Examinations.