University of Ghana Medical School Curriculum
SMD Elective Programmes
A. Regular Electives
- Electives are usually available in any of the following departments of interest to the applicants: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Anaesthesia, Haematology, Paediatrics, Surgery, Radiology, Psychiatry, Community Health, Family Medicine and Dentistry for a period of 4-8weeks only. (Microbiology, Chemical Pathology, Haematology and Pathology slots are also available in our sister School)
- Visiting students should have completed at least one year of clinical study in their own medical school and should have sufficient command of the English Language to enable them to understand verbal and written instructions.
- The success of a student’s application will depend, on whether the Heads of relevant departments are able to accept applicants bearing in mind available(running) student rotations.
- Application forms may be downloaded for completion and forwarded to email@example.com
- Applications must be accompanied by a recommendation from applicant’s Dean for further processing of the application
- Registration and mentorship fees are charged for the regular elective programmes, which form part of the requirements for acceptance of the applicant.
- A non-refundable administrative/registration fee of US$200 is charged while the mentorship fee is $90/week of study. Students are required by University Policy to make full payment of their fees in US Dollars
- Fees are payable by a successful applicant upon arrival in the School at the Cash Office at the School’s Administration Block.
- Limited accommodation is available (paired rooms) at the International Students Hostel (ISH).
- The current charge of accommodation is US$11.00 per day per student. Meals are available at canteens and restaurants on campus.
- Malpractice/liability insurance:
You will not be covered for malpractice insurance by the University of Ghana Medical School. You need your own personal medical insurance.
NOTE: This takes effect 1st January.
B. Exchange Electives
This type of electives organised by the Student Executive Body is under the IFMSA*. It does not exceed 4 weeks in duration and mentorship is free.
*IFMSA – International Federation of Medical Student’s Association.
The School has limited accommodation for Elective Students (paired rooms) at its International students’ Hostel .
For reservation, contact the Warden on Tel no. +233 -200 470 077 to confirm 2 weeks before arrival. Applicants wishing to stay at the International Students Hostel are required to provide 2 passport – sized photographs on arrival.
Pick-up from the airport for a small fee can be arranged by contacting the academic affairs office at least a week before arrival. Tel no +233 302 666 987/8