University of Ghana Veterinary School Programmes
This is a 6-year programme comprising:
- Pre-professional phase (Semesters 1 & 2) of Biological Science option of the level 100 of the Faculty of Science.
- This is to be used to upgrade the level of SSCE/WASSCE candidates.
The professional phase of the curriculum consists of:
- Basic Veterinary Sciences (Semester 3 & 4) including Veterinary Gross Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry and Animal Production.
- Para-Clinical courses (Semester 5,6,7 &8) comprising Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Animal Nutrition, Breeding and Management, Ruminant and Monogastric Production, General Medicine and General Surgery.
- Clinical Veterinary Medicine (semester 9,10,11 & 12) comprising Clinical Anatomy, Clinical Pathology, Medicine, Surgery, Theriogenology, Epidemiology and Disease Prevention, Food (Meat and Milk Hygiene and Inspection, Zoonoses and Environmental Health, Obstetrics, Mastitis and Udder Management, Veterinary Economics and Business Management, Veterinary Ethics, Jurisprudence and Extension, Clinics and Student Project. Long Vacations (Level 100-500) will be spent on attachment to livestock farms, laboratories, abattoirs or Veterinary Clinics.